Welcome

Welcome To Our Blog!!



We are 7 Douglas College students traveling to Uganda, Africa to complete our practicums in Community Social Service Worker, Co-occurring Disorders, Early Childhood Education and Therapeutic Recreation. Our journey has been underway for a while but our flights officially leave Vancouver on April 13th 2011. This blog is a record of our experiences. Thank you all for your continued support and interest.

Friday 1 April 2011

The countdown continues ... 12 days (Chelsea)

 I can't believe it. We leave in less then two weeks.  Somehow time has snuck up on me, after a year of preparing and waiting for April to come.  Here it is,  April  1st.  I feel like I still have way too many things to do and  not enough time to do it.  Maybe I'm feeling overwhelmed by it all suddenly becoming real. I'm not too sure. I know I'm excited  and I know I'm anxious (8.5, 7 today Bob).

I can't wait for this adventure to begin and as many of my friends and family know,  over the past year I have been feeling like my life has been on hold.  I am trilled to taking this next exciting step in my education and in my life.  I have extremely high hopes for this adventure.  After 5 years of university  preparing myself for what I thought was my ultimate goal (a PhD in Clinical psychology), I found myself  uninspired and unsure about committing myself to any particular research question (and another 6-9 years or research).  So the last few years and Douglas'  CODS  (co-occurring disorders) program have been about my continued learning,  enhancing my skills and knowledge as well as the very difficult and slightly vague goal of 'finding myself'. So I'm banking on being inspired and finding direction during my time away (maybe even finding the elusive 'self' that I have been looking for). I have only heard amazing things from people who have traveled and worked in Africa.  I am so excited to learn and see  perspectives about life and the world that are so different from my own.  In light of this pressure that I'm putting on this practicum and myself,  I am going to be constantly reminding myself to remain present, keep my eyes, ears and heart open and truely experience Africa as it presents itself. I am ready and open for the trials, tribulations and amazingness that await just a week and a handful of days away (that's what I keep telling myself).

I want to thank my family and friends for their continued support. It means the world to me.  So this is me (I make up words, can't spell and love to use brackets for side-notes/random related Chelsea thoughts).  I'm signing off for now.  I'm holding my going away/belated birthday party tonight because I'm packing up my place next weekend (oh my goodness.... so little time... just keep smiling). Hopefully, I do not cry too much. Love you all. I hope life is treating you well.

 Until next time....

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea,
    I hope you have an amazing trip! I'm looking forward to reading all your future blog posts about this amazing opportunity. I hope you get everything you hope for out of the trip and your practicum.
    Love, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chelsea, I just got Oma set up so she can follow your Blog on her computer now. Hope things are going OK for you and you got thru Kampala OK.
    Love B & Oma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelsea;
    Looking forward to reading your future blog posts. I hope all is well and that you are getting settled in ok. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chelsea!!!!! I can't wait to hear about your last couple of days! Sending awesome thoughts your way. Love you!

    ReplyDelete