Welcome

Welcome To Our Blog!!



We are 7 Douglas College students traveling to Uganda, Africa to complete our practicums in Community Social Service Worker, Co-occurring Disorders, Early Childhood Education and Therapeutic Recreation. Our journey has been underway for a while but our flights officially leave Vancouver on April 13th 2011. This blog is a record of our experiences. Thank you all for your continued support and interest.

Friday 29 April 2011

Significant Impressions thus far...

        Its difficult to know where to start when so much has happened in such little time. Too many things for me to write about in one blog entry so I will narrow it down to my most significant impressions. First of all, the visits to the village and other beautiful sites that Lee (John Fox’s son) took us to was absolutely amazing. I’m not going to repeat the details because Chelsea did such a great job in her blog, but I hope Lee realizes how much we all appreciated that.
       Second of all, the children..I can’t say enough about them. I have the opportunity to work with children at both of my practicum placements: Kakunyu School for children with special educational needs, and at Anaweza, a program that focuses on building talents and skills of vulnerable children in Masaka. Due to school break, I have not had the opportunity to work with the kids at Kakunyu school yet, but I have been working with about 50 children at Anaweza. I will never forget my first day of practicum at Anaweza..As Melissa and I accompanied the children to a near by field for their play time, we had several children holding our hands, looking up at us with big smiles, and asking us questions. They are so curious, affectionate, and welcoming of us here. Right away Melissa and I were referred to as “Aunties”. As I’ve gotten to know the children at Anaweza, I am so amazed at their eagerness to learn and how quickly they pick up on things even when instructed in English (which most speak, but not fluently). They are so incredibly smart and have so much potential. At Anaweza, I suggested a program where the children are asked to choose one thing they are talented or skillful at and then give them the opportunity to teach or perform for the rest of the group. My hope is that the program will help increase confidence, leadership skills, and group connectedness. My supervisor thought it was a good idea, so we told the children right away. Keeping in mind that some children may be nervous or shy, we let them know that they have a choice to perform individually or in a small group. I also had assistance in facilitating a discussion about talents and skills including some examples, and probing questions for those who may have difficulty identifying a skill or talent. I’m really excited to see what the children come up with, so I will be sure to give you an update later on.
         This leads me to talk about the significant impression my supervisors have had on me. They are both so passionate about encouraging and strengthening the potential of the children they work with. I have never met such passionate people who (in my opinion) put their own needs aside for the good of others. There is so much to be learned from them, and I feel very blessed to be in their company right now. I am so excited for what’s to come in the next two months! I will keep you posted!
Love,
Chera

No comments:

Post a Comment