Welcome

Welcome To Our Blog!!



We are 7 Douglas College students traveling to Uganda, Africa to complete our practicums in Community Social Service Worker, Co-occurring Disorders, Early Childhood Education and Therapeutic Recreation. Our journey has been underway for a while but our flights officially leave Vancouver on April 13th 2011. This blog is a record of our experiences. Thank you all for your continued support and interest.

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Almost time to board a jet plane... (Kayla)

We're officially 7 days away from departure and I'm sitting here wondering how did it arrive here so fast?! The concept of going to Uganda has felt like a distant destination that will never arrive and now I'll be there next Friday! Time flys by way too quickly in my life, it feels like just yesterday I was in my first class in the Community Social Service Worker Program. With the goal of completing that program almost accomplished, I find myself staring into what will be the most challenging part of program, my last two practicums in Uganda. I say challenging because I really like predicatabiliy. I enjoy planning my future because if I do so, I'll know what to expect and can prepare myself for it. This experience is about being out of my comfort zone and change. All vulnerable places to be for me but a great situation because only growth will happen if I overcome those feelings.

Not only do I have 8 daunting "to-do" lists but mentally, I feel like the reality that I'm actually going away somewhere hasn't set in just yet. Each day leading up to our departure is filled with saying my good bye's with family and friends. Although people go away for a lot longer than we are, my travelling record boasts all of Smithers and Las Vegas. With the longest period of 2 weeks for me being away from my family and friends. I have to admit that I've mostly been feeling anxious about our trip but there's definitely an element of excitement starting to set in. I can't say that I've ever built up the courage to go on an adventure and experience something so different than home and I think my nervousness really stems from leaving my boyfriend, family and friends behind. However, I just remember what someone told me when she said that when I return, everything will be the same but I'll see it all different. Knowing that an experience could be that powerful on someone's worldview is fascinating to me. My goal when joining this project was to really widen my worldview and enhance my understanding of another other culture. Being in Uganda, I hope I'm able to really focus on the present for once and soak up as much of my surroundings as possible. I believe whole heartedly that my time in Uganda will enrich my life perspectives and transfom my life forever.

 I hope you'll follow my team and I as we embark on this journey and share our experiences with you. I want to thank Bob, John, Diana, Janice, all the other faculty, my family, Chris and his family, my friends, my peers and everyone else that has been there along the way. Without your guidance, love and support I wouldn't be here so thank you! Just know next time you read a post from me....I'll be in Uganda !!!!

- Kayla

2 comments:

  1. Hi everyone, only two more days till we leave. The reality of leaving is finally setting in for myself. I almost couldn't believe that i was going until this weekend came around. Now as a i packed my bag today it definitely feels real. It feels sad to leave but exciting to gain new life experiences as well as grow as an Early Childhood Educator. More writing to follow soon.

    -Cole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cole- I reposted your comment as an offical post

    ReplyDelete