Welcome

Welcome To Our Blog!!



We are 7 Douglas College students traveling to Uganda, Africa to complete our practicums in Community Social Service Worker, Co-occurring Disorders, Early Childhood Education and Therapeutic Recreation. Our journey has been underway for a while but our flights officially leave Vancouver on April 13th 2011. This blog is a record of our experiences. Thank you all for your continued support and interest.

Friday 10 June 2011

The past two weeks.... (Chera)

Oh boy, there are so many stories to tell! All of these stories effect one another creating the overall experience. I have been struggling to write a blog entry for the past two weeks because with so many things happening at once, it is difficult to sit down with a clear mind and choose just one or two things to write about.

I guess I’ll go back to significant impressions; things that have impacted me these past two weeks as my time here quickly winds to an end. At Anaweza, I’ve been accompanying my supervisor to nearby villages and towns to meet the beneficiaries of his IGA (Income Generating Activities) project. Through the help of donations from friends in Australia, 50 families in need were offered a business training workshop and granted 100,000 shillings (approx $50.00) to start their own business. My supervisor and I visited these people (many of them parents/caregivers of the children who attend Anaweza) so he could collect their accountability reports (receipts and itemized details on how the money was spent). We were graciously welcomed into homes as children scurried to quickly bring chairs or a mat for us to sit on. All the beneficiaries were genuinely grateful for the opportunity to start their business. Businesses included: A hair salon, eucalyptus tree nursery, selling food, selling coal, breeding/selling pigs and chickens, and making/selling crafts. I was really moved and inspired by what I witnessed..the amount of pride beaming from these people as they talked about their business was enormous. These people have been given hope. Hope to feed and clothe their families, send their children to school, get medical attention when needed, the list goes on and on. It is amazing what $50, a little education, and the will to create a better life can do!


I think I may have mentioned in a previous blog entry that school is now in session. The number of children at Anaweza have reduced to about 10 (although the number is climbing as kids are sent home for failing to pay school fees). The reduced number in children has allowed me to get to know many on a more personal level. I have heard about the struggles which have kept many of them from attending school and it is extremely frustrating. A few general examples are: Parents/caregivers who can’t pay school fees, wont pay school fees, or will pay school fees but only for the male siblings. I look at these kids with such incredible potential, eagerness to learn, who have big dreams and I want to yell out for help. My supervisor is so passionate about helping these kids because he feels their future, the future of the community and the future of Uganda depends on it and he’s right! He has big dreams for the Anaweza Project and I have no doubt in my mind that he will accomplish his goals…but it does take time and he does need support. I recently created a facebook fan page for Anaweza to help get the word out about what they are doing. I also added several photos so please check out if you can! My supervisor has talked about setting up a child sponsorship program as well so children can access assistance with school fees when all other avenues fail.


Over the course of the past two weeks at Anaweza I have been leading activities that encourage imagination and creativity. While working with the children I noticed that play has a real practical theme, usually centered around agriculture, school, and work. I also noticed that when I gave examples during previous activities, that the children would often stick very closely to the example rather than come up with their own idea. I understand that this is partly to do with the language barrier, but I also believe that the children have had a limited outlet for creativity. I’ve begun introducing activities such as an adaptation of charades, story telling games, and free dance (not choreographed). Already I have begun to see an increase in self expression, confidence, and creativity. I will continue with this until I leave and give the information to my supervisor so he can continue with the activities after I leave. I really hope that a TR student will be placed at Anaweza next year. There is so much potential there and my supervisor is very open and receptive to ideas..it really is a perfect fit!

At Kakunyu School I have expressed interest in working with my supervisor’s children in her home who have both cognitive and physical impairments. I have been telling her about the benefits of starting a sensory stimulation program. I had the chance to work with a couple of her children by demonstrating the therapy. My supervisor asked me to write the information I told her on a large poster board so she could follow it later. A good sensory stimulation program should be consistent and the fact that I’m only there on Thursday and Friday has been frustrating..not to mention the fact that I am done practicum in a week and a half! It is true what I was told before I left: The time will go by fast!

Ahhh time…as it winds to an end here, I’ve been spending a lot of time reflecting on my experience here, the people I have met and all the things I have learned. I’ve been trying to stop every once in a while to look around, take a deep breath, and make a mental picture. I feel like no matter how hard I try, it is difficult to capture my experience in writing so I am sorry for that..there is so so much more, but feelings that run deep are hard to articulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment