Welcome

Welcome To Our Blog!!



We are 7 Douglas College students traveling to Uganda, Africa to complete our practicums in Community Social Service Worker, Co-occurring Disorders, Early Childhood Education and Therapeutic Recreation. Our journey has been underway for a while but our flights officially leave Vancouver on April 13th 2011. This blog is a record of our experiences. Thank you all for your continued support and interest.

Tuesday 21 June 2011

It's time to go..... (Chera)

What an incredible experience it has been! I can hardly believe that it has come to an end. Today is my last day in Masaka and I have been spending most the day reflecting, writing, packing, and organizing. This past week has been a whirlwind of emotions. A large part of me wishes I had more time here. I have learned so much, but in many ways have only scratched the surface. It will be interesting to see how things will translate when I get back home. Has this experience been life changing? Not really..I am still very much the same person I was before I left. Life enhancing is more like it. My values have not changed since I’ve been here, only strengthened. I thought I knew myself before, but now I know even more. I’ve learned the importance of community, and experienced the power of music and dance. I experienced what it feels like to be loved and accepted just the way I am and how to treat others the same. On the flip side, I have also experienced what it feels like to be a minority, to stand out in the crowd, and to be judged by the colour of my skin. My patience has been tested, I have learned to relax. I’ve learned what it means to be a friend, to be part of a family, and to be part of a student group living and working together for 10 weeksJ
My experience in Uganda has been challenging & it has been incredibly rewarding. I came to Uganda as I learner and that is exactly what I did. I leave here feeling blessed for having such an amazing opportunity so thank you to Douglas College, Anaweza, and Kakunyu School! I am inspired by the people I have met here especially the children and my supervisors at Anaweza and Kakunyu. I hope to be more like them as I move on from this point forward: authentic, compassionate, resilient, accepting, open-minded, patient, loving, selfless passionate leaders!

Love,
Chera

No comments:

Post a Comment