Welcome

Welcome To Our Blog!!



We are 7 Douglas College students traveling to Uganda, Africa to complete our practicums in Community Social Service Worker, Co-occurring Disorders, Early Childhood Education and Therapeutic Recreation. Our journey has been underway for a while but our flights officially leave Vancouver on April 13th 2011. This blog is a record of our experiences. Thank you all for your continued support and interest.

Monday 13 June 2011

The end is near.. (Kayla)

Well I can't believe I'm saying this, but we're almost nearing the end of our practicum. It feels like just yesterday the time was going by so slowly and I felt like returning to Canada would never be a reality. Now I have to admit that I'm deeply saddened by the fact that I'm going home soon and I'm already planning my next trip back !

My practicum at Wakisa has been challenging yet rewarding. The time that I have spent getting to know the girls and forming relationships with them is unforgettable for me. At first, I felt like the girls thought I was a big nerd because there would often be giggles whenever I spoke and not many of the girls had took to me. It wasn't until I attempted to speak Luganda and relate to them on a similar level. We often exchanged our favorite movie titles, songs and fashion tips. I also came to learn that those giggles were derived from a big language barrier that was between us. I designed a sheet for the girls to fill out about their future goals and self care techniques. It was so amazing to see their faces light up as they described to me their goals for the future whether they wanted to be a farmer or a doctor. I encouraged them to stay strong and believe in themselves,  things that are even often difficult for me to do. They were suprised that sometimes I feel unmotivated and discouraged when it comes to my goal but it was good to normalize that experience for them. We explored a lot of their resources and support systems that they have in their lives and I have never met a stronger, more resililent and hopeful group of girls. I only wish for them to  have full happy lives with their babies and that eventually they are able to continue their studies and follow their dreams.

My stay here has been unforgettable even on the home front. I have had the pleasure of staying with Robert, Carli and their 16 children. Let me tell you, going from a home in Canada where my youngest sister is 18, to a house where everyone is under 15 has been quite the experience. Carli and Robert have a children's home here but it's the strongest family I know. The children come from either the street or vulnerable home situations. Carli and Robert have been able to be the best parents and encourage them to live to their full potential. I have never been in awe of children who are so helpful around the house and with one another. All the kids really care and look out for one another. Despite some of their devastating and terrifying pasts, they are still able to make me laugh everyday and teach me something new about life. I'm heartbroken to be leaving my nephews and nieces but I'm grateful that my life has been enriched with such bright and talented children who I know I will return to Uganda to visit.

A past student, Laura,  told me, "don't let your expectations guide your experience". This has been one of the most meaningful pieces of advice that I received before I came to Uganda. It couldn't be more true that often times we set high expectations for ourselves and especially in another country, they aren't always attainable. The fact is, I've had a few curveballs thrown my way in terms of my accommodations and practicum placement. If I didn't heed this little piece of advice I had heard before I came I think that my experience here would've been negative. I've taken every change with positive thoughts and made the best learning opportunities I can from my time here. In reality, Uganda is a 24/7 practicum because you see and hear many things that will challenge your perspectives. At first, you feel really out of our comfort zone because your worldview that you've come to know all your life will be completely challenged and in my case, altered. I have learned more about myself than I ever would doing a practicum in Canada and I'm grateful to the project for giving me the opportunity to enrich my life perspective and share it with others.

I have a week packed with practicum, good food and great company. Although the ending is bittersweet for me, I'm beyond excited to travel to Kenya and Tanzania with a few other teammates. I also am in forever thankful for to the people of Uganda for opening your arms and welcoming me like I'm one of your own. I truly can't wait to return back to this amazing country and create more beautiful memories with the family and friends I've made here.

No comments:

Post a Comment